for amplified ensemble
Commissioned by Sentieri Selvaggi
First performance: Milano, Festival Nuovo Mondo, 18.05.2010
Sentieri Selvaggi, cond. C. Boccadoro
Publisher: Edizioni Suvini Zerboni
cd ÆON 1328
mdi ensemble – RepertorioZero – cond. P.A. Valade
Listen on Spotify
mdi ensemble – cond., P.A. Valade
Cottbus (Germany), 16.04.2011
Ensemble Mosaik, cond. E. Christ
– Bass Flute, toy piano, elastic band+cardboard box
– B Flat Clarinet & Bass Clarinet, plastic-coated carton
– Percussion player: vibraphone (with metal chain), bass drum (tuned C), elastic band+cardboard box, small snare drum, plastic-coated carton
– Violin (IV string G an octave lower, III string D an octave lower)
– Cello (IV string G a perfect fourth lower)
Sampler = Mac computer with: Max patch & 45 soundfiles .aif, included in cdrom.
Cdrom with electronics, toy piano, cardboard boxes, plastic-coated cartons, elastic bands and the metal chain for the vibraphone are provided with the instrumental parts.
In attached cdrom: sampler, aif sounds & instructions for use
Inside the written part of the sampler there is the spectrogram of the electronic sounds. The horizontal axis represents time, the vertical axis is frequency in logarithmic scale; a third dimension indicating the amplitude of a particular frequency at a particular time is represented by the colour of each point in the image
Instruments should be amplified with at least four microphones:
one for woodwinds, one for violin, one for cello, the last one for percussions
– 2 loudspeakers. The loudspeakers should be placed at opposite ends of the ensemble
– 1 mixer at least 8 channel
– at least 4 microphones
– masterkeyboard + Macintosh computer (with 45 soundfiles .aif)
Sampler and soundfiles are included in the cdrom, attached with score and parts
– 1 D.I.Box for masterkeyboard+Mac
– MIDI connection between Mac and master keyboard, via audio card (for ex. Pro Tools), or via USB if the master-keyboard has a USB output.
The sound of the sampler should prevail; the sound of the acoustic instruments should be completely mixed in the loudspeakers with the sampler.
Disorder, multiplicity, anthropomorphism.
The high degree of inharmonicity inside Pieter Bruegel’s painting, Dulle Griet, asks us to unravel through too similar and indistinguishable colors, to see its main criteria.
At the same time, the thick imagination discloses a mental order, showing a closed and well-organized system in which each single element builds a network made by coherent and unlikely connections.
“Pas un mythe qui ne décrive la musique comme la mise en forme, la domestication, la ritualisation du bruit en simulacre de meurtre rituel, métaphore du sacrifice fondateur de tout ordre social” (J. Attali)